450 N Syndicate St, Suite 315 St. Paul, MN 55104 info@clcmn.org 651-644-4438

Scholarship Opportunities and Financial Funding for Foster Youth


Scholarship Opportunities for Foster Youth

EDUCATION TRAINING VOUCHER (ETV)—The ETV is a voucher that can be used not only for tuition, books and fees, but also child care and transportation costs (excluding purchase of vehicles). ETV funds may be used for room and board for youth who do not participate in extended foster care, (youth in extended foster care already receive foster care maintenance payments that are applied to these costs). The maximum award possible for a full academic year is $5,000. Prospective applicants should review the Minnesota Department of Human Services’ Education and Training Voucher (ETV) website for information about recent changes to the application process.  Beginning with the July 1, 2013 application deadline, applications will be completed online.  In addition to the July 1 and January 1 deadlines, there are now a set of flexible deadlines, with awards contingent on the availability of funds.  For more information about changes to the ETV program, visit http://mn.gov/dhs/, then click on People We Serve, Children and Families, Services, Adolescent Services, Education and Training Vouchers.

ETVS and College Scholarship Guide – A guide to ETV’s and scholarships for post-secondary education for current and former foster care youth.

FINANCIAL AID FOR MINORITIES – A scholarship and financial aid guide for scholarships and other unique opportunities available for minority students.

FOSTER CARE TO SUCCESS Foster Care to Success scholarships are awarded based on a combination of merit and need, and funding levels are determined based on cost of attendance and availability of other resources. Awards range from $1,500 to $6,000 per academic year, and are renewable for up to five years if a student remains eligible. Scholarships are announced annually in June. Visit www.fc2success.org or apply online at http://www.fc2success.org/our-programs/information-for-students/

ANNIE E. CASEY FOUNDATION—The scholarship monies varies from region to region, more detailed information is on their website www.aecf.org, or send correspondence to: The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 701 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, 410.547.6600.

NATIONAL FOSTER PARENT ASSOCIATION (NEPA) offers scholarships for foster youth who wish to further their education beyond high school. The scholarships help fund college or university studies, vocational and job training, correspondence courses such as GED courses. Contact information: National Foster Parent Association, 7512 Stanich Avenue #6. Gig Harbor, WA 98335, 1.800.557.5238. http://www.nfpaonline.org/youthscholarship

PAGE EDUCATION FOUNDATION award grants to Minnesota’s youth of color who are pursuing their dreams of post-secondary education. Page grants must be renewed every year. May 1st is the deadline for all new and renewing applications. To be eligible for the Page Grant a student must be: a student of color, a graduate of a Minnesota high school, enrolled full-time in a post-secondary educational institution in Minnesota and willing to complete a minimum of 50 hours for a Service-to-Children project. Contact information: Page Education Foundation, P. O. Box 581254, Minneapolis, MN 55458. 612.332.0406. http://www.page-ed.org/apply/ .

MINNESOTA INDIAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (MISP) this funding has three levels: Graduate Level, Undergraduate Level and Certificate/Diploma Level. Deadline is July 1st. All new students fill out application completely and send documentation of Indian Ancestry if you are from a tribe other than Minnesota Chippewa Tribe or Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians. Returning students are students that have received funding in the past school year or a student that received a letter from the MISP office for “Award Notice, Out of Funds, No Assessed Need, and Tribe Assisting”, you are considered a RETURNING STUDENT. Contact information: Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program, Minnesota Department of Education, 1500 Highway 36 West, Roseville, MN 55113-4266, 1.800.657.3927, E-Mail: mde.indian-education@state.mn.us.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MINNESOTA STATE WARDS QUALIFY FOR TUITION WAIVERS AT STATE COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES? That’s right! If you are a state ward in Minnesota, there are a number of Minnesota state colleges and universities that you can attend, where your tuition will be waived. Meaning, you won’t be saddled with an obscene amount of student loans when you graduate! If you are a state ward who is interested in obtaining a tuition waiver to attend college in Minnesota, you should contact your social worker.

More information on scholarships and continuing education opportunities is also available in the CLC Brochure: continuing EDUCATION -Brochure on post-secondary education opportunities.


THE CAMMACK MARSHALL FUND FOR CHILDREN is a nonprofit organization. Their sole purpose is to enrich the lives of state wards in Ramsey County. Grants or pay for special needs—recreational opportunities, educational classes, therapeutic counseling, special equipment, medical procedures and more. Contact information: Cammack Marshall Fund for Children, P. O. Box 14325, St. Paul, MN 55114. E-mail: info@cammackmarshall.org.

FORGOTTEN CHILDREN’S FUND is administered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services, to provide children placed outside of their home with special items or activities that might normally be provided by a child’s family, such as music lesson, graduation expenses, class rings, musical instruments and other purely special miscellaneous expenses. The request needs to be originated by a county social worker. There is a $300.00 calendar year limit for each child granted a reimbursement from the Forgotten Children’s Fund. Contact information: Thom Campbell, Minnesota Department of Human Resources, 444 Lafayette Road North, St. Paul, Minnesota 55155, 651.431.4690, E-mail: thom.campbell@state.mn.us or dhs.forgottenchildrensfund@state.mn.us .