Employment & Internship Opportunities
Full Time Legal Administrative Assistant
Legal Administrative Assistant
ORGANIZATION SUMMARY: Children’s Law Center of Minnesota (“CLC”) is a nonprofit organization that promotes the rights and interests of Minnesota’s children in the judicial, child welfare, health care and education systems. CLC uses a multi-disciplinary team, combining staff and volunteer lawyers with a staff social worker, to represent children in Minnesota’s child protection system (foster care). With the help of approximately 300 volunteer lawyers, CLC represents over 700 foster children annually, primarily in the Twin Cities area.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: CLC seeks a full-time legal administrative assistant to assist its staff attorneys, social worker and paralegal with overseeing and handling CLC’s Direct Representation Program. A substantial amount of work will focus on managing our client file archive project. Other specific work may include
- Organize and maintain client files including scanning and electronic filing of all correspondence, pleadings, and other related materials;
- Locate, compile and electronically save documents and records as needed for the organization;
- Preparing initial case summaries;
- Assist with the development and fundraising efforts; and
- Perform additional office administrative duties as required.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Required: high school graduation; work experience involving the court and legal system; computer and technology proficiency; ability to work independently and to interface with players in the legal system in a professional manner. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree, excellent communication (both oral and written) skills; strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and meet timelines; excellent teamwork skills; ability to elicit cooperation from others in a positive, constructive manner.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and references to: Anne Gueinzius, Esq., Children’s Law Center of Minnesota, 450 N. Syndicate St., Suite 315, St. Paul, MN 55104 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.
Law Student Internships
CLC has internship and volunteer opportunities available for law students throughout the year. Internship/volunteer positions are unpaid. Summer internships and summer law clerk positions may be paid through work-study or fellowships if funding is available. Internships for class credit, or volunteer hours for class credit can be arranged if needed. CLC also accepts Student Law Clerks through the Minnesota Justice Foundation Volunteer Program. If you are a law student in Minnesota interested in volunteering at CLC during the school year through MJF, please visit the MJF Website to learn about available opportunities. You may also contact Children’s Law Center directly at email@example.com.
- SUMMER INTERNSHIPS: CLC accepts between 1-3 law students for 10-12 week internships in the summer. Summer internships require a commitment of 30-40 hours per week. Applications for these positions are due March 1st of each year. CLC also will help selected intern candidates apply for fellowships and other funding such as P.I.C. or P.I.L.F. funding. Interviews for Summer candidates will take place every year in March and April.
- FALL & SPRING SEMESTER INTERNSHIPS: CLC typically accepts between 1-2 law students during both the Fall and Spring Semesters. Most often students volunteer for a minimum of 8-15 hours a week for a semester.
How to Apply
To apply for the spring position, please send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2022. Please include a description of the length of time for which you would like to intern/volunteer, along with the number of hours per week you are available. If you need internship credit or credit for volunteer hours, be sure to include any requirements from your class or instructor. Applications are reviewed and selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.